Debby Deroian, MA, LPC, LMFT
Hi, my name is Debby Deroian. Finding the right therapist can be an overwhelming task! It is also one of the most important tasks because research shows the biggest predictor of success in therapy is the relationship between client and therapist..I understand that you are reading this section to see if we are a good fit for each other, and I imagine you are wondering what makes me qualified to do this work, and how I can help you. But first, I want to start by sharing why I decided to become a therapist and what drives the passion I have for this work. The short answer is that I love working with individuals and couples with these struggles because I have been where you are, and I have experienced firsthand how therapy can be life changing.
I was stuck in my own unsatisfying career when I knew I needed to make a change. I was terrified at the thought of going back to school and pursuing a brand new career while juggling work, school and my family. But some of the experiences I have been through including divorce and remarriage into a new blended family made me realize how gratifying it could be to help others at a crossroads in their lives the way therapy helped me! These life experiences have led me to a career where I can help individuals lead happier and healthier lives, and help couples have happier and more satisfying relationships.
I want to be the kind of therapist that I have connected with the most when I was a client. To that goal, I don’t pretend I am the expert in your life, and I don’t just smile and nod. My approach is personable and collaborative. I want our work together to be interactive; I love to give feedback and to challenge you when necessary. I also love to give homework because I know the time you spend working on yourself outside of sessions will be equally important as the time spent in sessions. I want to develop a genuine connection that provides you with a safe space to unpack all your “stuff”, and be the guide and the support you need to move from your stuck place to growth. Most importantly, I like to bring my real and genuine self to the therapy room, and although therapy is hard work, we will laugh and enjoy our time together too!
I also want to share the type of clients I work best with and have had the most success with to help you in your decision. The clients who experience the most success and growth with me are ready and willing to learn and put in the work. They recognize that I can’t fix their problems for them with a magic wand, but they want to do the hard stuff in the sessions, and implement their new skills outside the sessions. They know it is time to make a change in their lives or in their relationships, and they are ready and willing to take a hard look at themselves and do what it takes to achieve their goals.
Now for the part of what makes me qualified to help you.
- I received my Masters Degree with a concentration in Marriage and Family Therapy at the College of New Jersey
- I am a Licensed Professional Counselor and a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist
- I use evidenced based models, including John Gottman’s Sound House Relationship Theory and Emotionally Focused Therapy, to help couples learn skills for improving communication, managing conflict more effectively, and improving and maintaining emotional and physical connection and intimacy.
- I use Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Solution Focused Therapy to help individuals learn to recognize how unhealthy irrational thoughts may be contributing to anxiety or depression. They learn how to manage difficult emotions, such as anger, sadness, fear or disappointment in a healthier more effective way.
- I have completed Level Two Gottman training,
Ready to get started?